One of the most shocking and necessary discoveries along the path is that what we love does not love us. We are filled all the time with powerful feelings and emotions that seem to lift or otherwise provide purpose and self-worth. It is not too much to say that most of these inner states are lies — hopelessly incomplete of themselves, and seeking completion in some secret opposite that they generate.
Since our choice is not whether to become one thing or another, but rather in whose likeness we are becoming, the wise among us see this fact and work accordingly to align ourselves with those forces intuited to be for the highest good. Then their goodness becomes our own, and our lives become their expression. Here is the key to this highest of relationships:
Learning to love what is good begins with being truthful about what we presently love and what we are becoming because of our relationship with it. This higher level of self-awareness actually transforms the life it becomes aware of, and as we are transformed by it — and begin becoming new within it — then we know the true benefit of being a lover of Truth is that this Love becomes us. And, as the following benefits are designed to reveal, this ever-renewing Love fears nothing!
1. Only the lover of Truth knows the one Love that increases itself even as it waits patiently for him to expire all of his other loves.
2. Only the lover of Truth knows that for every truth willingly endured arrives a greater willingness to endure even more — for she also knows that the harsh light she now sees herself in heralds not the end of her life, but holds its true beginning.
3. Only the lover of Truth knows the unyielding attractive force of that truth not yet his own, and that beckons him to forsake all else for its dawning.
4. Only the lover of Truth can know that singular fearlessness that comes with knowing there is no such thing as any truth to be feared.
5. Only the lover of Truth recognizes the secret goodness hidden in the heart of every disappointment or sorrow.
6. Only the lover of Truth has the wisdom not to condemn herself, or another, for any weakness revealed — for she knows that any truth revealed to the lover of Truth is the same as one already on its way to being healed by that same Love.
7. Only the lover of Truth knows that whatever love he has been given to know is not his, but belongs to Truth alone.
8. Only the lover of Truth accepts the responsibility that attends such a love, including being willing to forsake herself for its sake.
9. Only the lover of Truth rests content with all — or the little — that he may have, for his contentment rests not within what he may or may not possess, but with his love of being the possession of the Truth that he loves.
Winning the Love in your heart that you know you want begins with awakening to what you now love without knowing it. Every day, every moment you can, come wide awake to yourself and see the false friends you have been holding near and dear within your heart. Don’t judge… just see. Let the facts speak louder than the protests of what they reveal.
To begin seeing that negative states such as anger, impatience, worry, and fear have lodged themselves into the hidden corners of your heart is to discover how they have managed to win their spot. Now it is clear. These internal imposters were able to convince you that their embrace is the same as the strength, safety, and love for which you long. They are not. Bring their punishing presence in your heart into the light of your higher awareness — and your love of this awareness. Do this, and Love itself will not only banish these imposters but also empower you with the presence of a new and perfect fearlessness.